May 20, 2010

Bug Begone

Mozzies are dreadful this year, despite the re-emergence of the lesser spotter bacteria helicopter, but then they always are, plus all the rain... As we spend lots of time outside I spent late winter trying to work out how to solve the issue of the bugs. Eventually, I'd like some sort of screen room, or enclosure like you get round pools in Florida, but for $40, this seemed like an idea worth trying - a mesh canopy that fits over a sun brolly.

It's okay, it has a water filled tyre (tire) around the bottom to tension the sides. It leaks. When I went to take the cap off to refill it, the whole stopper assembly pulled out. Duct tape I guess. Can't look worse than the sink can it?

In a moment of genius inspiration (unlike aforementioned sink), I found an old umbrella by the side of the road (well, by the side of someone's house attached to a patio table, but I digress), and removed the canvas, strung rope between the sticky out rods, and put the mesh over that.

This allows me to see the stars/bats/fireflies above my head, but also should help the tipping over that was caused by strong winds hitting the canvas, even when it was down. We'll see.